White DE version 2

Monday, December 19, 2005

I thought I would share one of my favorite holiday recipes with you guys. I previously gave you my recipe for Hot Hot Chocolate, but today is all about popovers. Popovers can be one of the easiest recipes to make, but they look pretty impressive when you make them. You serve them immediately out of the oven and they are great with butter, jam, or even chocolate. I happen to have a popover pan (like in the picture) but I know you can make them in a large muffin tin or individual custard cups. Here is what you need:
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons melted, unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or sea salt/gray salt...just not that 'table salt' crap)
  • 3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups milk at room temperature
  • Preheat the oven to 425 degrees


Spray the pan with a non-stick spray. This recipe makes 12 popovers in a popover pan...try to bake them all together - I find the batter does not do as well after sitting. Put your pans in the oven for 2 minutes to preheat. (I am not sure exactly why you do this - I know that if you put the pans in cold they do not 'puff' as high and if you let the pans heat too long, the outside can burn.) Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, salt, eggs, milk, and melted butter until smooth. Make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature for the best outcome. The batter will be very thin - it will look too thin - don't worry. Make sure not to fill the pans more than 1/2 full and bake for exactly 30 minutes. (If you are using individual custard cups, I've heard it works best to use a water bath to bake them.) Don't open the oven while they are baking..and enjoy them directly out of the oven.

It's also time for some new MOTM...Just in time for the holiday season, one of my favorite holiday songs...and a remix that i heard a couple years ago in Chicago at Roscoe's...Happy Chrismahannakwanzaakah to all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home