White DE version 2

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

It Is Now Officially Fall...

I forgot to mow the back yard today...oops. That means I either have to do it at 7:00 pm after work some evening or wait until Saturday. (I'm betting on Saturday.)

For those of you that have never had the pleasure of experiencing a Northern Indiana autumn, let me describe it for you. Every day is about 60 degrees...but can feel, varyingly, like 40 or 80. It is always about to rain, but it seems that it never does. Forecasts like 'Considerable Cloudiness' start to almost make sense. (What ever happened to partly cloudy, overcast - gloomy?) The leaves start to turn fantastic colors...This year is is predicted to be the last week in October. You start getting invited to bonfires, tailgating, and 'The Last Cookout of the Year...I Swear'.

Above all that, though, fall is the time of year when I am just a little confused. It takes me a few days to catch up and change my rhythm. I noticed this a couple weeks ago when I was getting exhausted at the drop of a hat...sleeping too much, then not at all.

Today, though, I caught up. This afternoon I was complaining to Pimpin' D about being cold...even though the thermostat is set on 68. He suggested a hot drink - cocoa, tea, or coffee. Well, not being one that normally enjoys hot drinks, I tend not to keep those things in my house. So, I suffered. I grabbed another sweater and huddled under my down blanket for warmth. I took a little late afternoon nap and when I woke up, I knew exactly what I needed. I headed to the grocery store to pick up some sweetened dark chocolate, cream, cinnamon, and a loaf of cranberry/walnut bread. It was time for a good, old-fashioned hot cocoa party...all by myself.

If you want to make (what I think is) the best hot chocolate...here is how I do it...

Matty McMattMatt's Hot Hot Chocolate
8oz Sweetened Dark Chocolate (the best you can find - that means European, not American...)
2 cups cream
Pinch Cayenne pepper

It's easy...In a small saucepan, bring the cream just to a boil and then pour over the chocolate. (By this point you have obviously chunked the chocolate, keeping some aside if you want fancy little shavings on top.) In a bowl, pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper and some cinnamon to taste...Voila - hot chocolate. Warm some yummy cranberry/walnut bread and enjoy your night! (I really should experiment - making this with soymilk, but I am worried it won't taste the same...) This recipe makes (obviously) 2 cups of the hot chocolate, so you can share with a friend! -Don't worry if you decide not to...I never do, either.-

3 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

THAT really sounds good. I may have to try it. Has to beat Swiss Miss Instant Cocoa...

I know what you mean about Fall. I like it but my allergies always kick in and I feel like i have a cold for 2 or 3 weeks while the change is beginning. We are camping at the gay campground the last weekend of the month in Brown County. Usual quite the foliage show there.

Gotta love the fall in Indiana.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Pimpin' said...

I totally deserve credit for coming up with 'gloomy' too...

11:16 PM  
Blogger Matt S. said...

The leaves are already so beautiful here, they are all shades of yellow, orange, and red. I love fall, but you are so right, your internal clock gets screwed up, because it gets dark so early now!

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home