White DE version 2

Thursday, August 11, 2005

You call yourself a Christian, I call you a hypocrite - You call yourself a patriot, well I think you're full of ...

So, the Rolling Stones have a new album coming out. It will be their first in, I think, 8 years. One song, in particular, is causing quite a stir. A Bigger Bang is the name of the album, and Sweet Neo-Con is the song causing all the uproar.
It's liberty for all, democracy's our style/Unless you are against us, then it's prison without trial.

That is just one line in the song that is undeniably critical of the Bush administration. While Bush is never mentioned by name in the song, it is easy to find the connection. Mick Jagger was quoted as saying, "It is certainly very critical of certain policies of the [Bush] administration, but so what! Lots of people are critical." He also shared that guitarist Keith Richards, who lives in the U.S., is more worried about the backlash than Jagger, who resides in the U.K.

I, for one, applaud their effort. Just this morning I was reading an article from Bex Schwartz, Sound those Chimes of Freedom. It's three years old, but expresses some thoughts I agree with so well that I had to link it. To sum it up in a sentence: Where are the protest songs for today?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jake McCafferty said...

I can't believe Keith Richards even knows what planet he lives on, much less which country he lives in.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Extra Ordinary Boy said...

Well, in all fairness, it was Jagger (not Richards) that made the statement, lol.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home