White DE version 2

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I've Got a Secret...shhhh

Bo Bice's real name is Harold...so nicknamed because when he was born his family thought he looked like a little Humphrey Bogart.

In other 'secrets revealed' news, Deep Throat's identity was breaking news yesterday. I learned from True Blue Liberal that Mark Felt, Assistant Director of the FBI at the time, has admitted to being the oh-so-explicitly named informant that helped Woodward and Bernstein expose criminal activity during the Nixon administration. He's 91 now...and deserves congratulations (belated as they may be) for the courage it took to dispose of government secrecy to protect freedom and democracy.

Bush 41 has been heard saying that he would like his older son, Jeb, to make a run for the presidency "when the timing is right". Now, here's me being a hypocrit: I wouldn't mind Bush:Clinton:Clinton:Bush:Bush:Clinton:Clinton...but I can't stand another Bush. In good news, even Barbara Bush thinks Hilary will be on the democratic ticket for '08. In her own words, "I'm not going to vote for her, but I'm betting on her".

Here is a lovely sentiment about the ups and downs of the term 'liberal'. And another:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

From Regis & Kelly this morning: In the New York Post today there is a compare/contrast of Paris vs Paris. Don't waste your time looking for it...but it lists Paris Hilton's interests as shopping and making home movies. This is the reason I love the NYP...it might be trashy, but they say what you wish you were snarky enough to come up with every day.

I didn't go to work today because I am on Darvcon 3 (think defcon...but not) and my back is still screaming. So, look forward to more posts today. I now retire to my boudoir for sleazy daytime TV. (I am working up the nerve to write my actual daytime TV experience for you all...look forward to it.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jake McCafferty said...

As second-in-command of the FBI, he had the obligation to see that the information went before a federal grand jury (or special prosecutor) -- not a newspaper reporter he called a friend.

Here's a guy more caught up in intrigue of slowing destroying Nixon than seeing to an immediate release of all information that might have brought a quick resolve to the issue. Only if the normal channels of the legal system didn't work, would he be justified in what he did.

No, I can't call settling a score in a White House vs. FBI turf war very heroic.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Jake McCafferty said...

By the way, Post editor Alice Mayhew (formerly over W&B) has previously said there was no "Deep Throat," as in one single person. Instead, DT was created by Hollywood for dramatic effect for "All the President's Men." W&B's literary agent later said basically the same thing.

I've been out of the loop the last few days. But has Woodward actually said Felt was "Deep Throat" or a simply his top source? I can't recall Woodward ever using the term "Deep Throat" publicly since questions were raised about authenticity.

And, finally, Felt has long been on the list of DT suspects, although far less sexy than others, including Al Haig, George Bush (the elder), Bob Dole, etc.

Hell, even Bernstein's 11-year-old son knew it was Felt.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2065299/

Maybe I should have done a post about this. LOL.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Extra Ordinary Boy said...

I would like to say I was as in-depth about this as you, but it would be a lie, lol...

It was just a news blurb that I came across and threw up my first response to. I have just passable knowledge about this era as I wasn't born until 1980. Because (at that time) it was recent, it was not covered in-depth in schools. I honestly don't remember covering U.S. History past JFK in high school. My college history courses were more on a world history focus. Please, do a post on this. I would love to hear a more informed opinion on the subject.

(Oh, did I forget to mention that Mark Felt's grandson is an uber-hottie? Bad Matt.)

7:43 PM  
Blogger Jake McCafferty said...

Born in 1980? Baaah. I doubt you would have received an honest rendering of Watergate anyway. Most people's summary is: Nixon bad, reporters found out, Nixon resigns. But there's considerably more to it. If you really want to read more about Watergate, check out this site: http://www.watergate.info/

I would do a post, but it's Friday ... and I'm tired. ;-) Maybe I'll just link back here.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home