White DE version 2

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Testosterone Boys and Harlequin Girls

OK, so it's been like a year since I've written anything here. But, I have good reason.

For the past 2 weeks we have been starting our largest sale of the season...Seriously huge. Last Thursday was the beginning of the sale and we sold over $30,000 of shoes in one day. Needless to say - this next paycheck is going to be NICE! The downside to such a huge sale is that there has been no time for much of anything but work and sleep. Robyn was in town over the weekend and we headed out for "a drink" on Friday night. That one drink turned into 2 hours, but it was all worth it, even though we were all beat.

As if the huge sale were not enough to tucker me out - I caught the flu. The effin' flu. It started Saturday night. I fell asleep after I got home from work and then Lynn called me around 9:00 to see if I was going to go out. I told her I was tired and to go on without me. After I got off the phone with her, I realized how warm it was. I have a heated mattress pad on my bed, so I made sure that was off and still couldn't cool off. I finally got up to check the thermostat and when I did I realized I was completely light-headed. The thermostat was set on 68, so that wasn't the problem. I went into the bathroom and took my temperature. OOPS...101.9*.

Yeah, I had a fever. And I was up the rest of the night until about 5:00 am. My fever got up to just above 103* and I started to worry about at what point they said you had to go to the hospital. Luckily, as soon as it got above 103* it started to go down. The fever hasn't returned, but I have had a screaming case of ass-piss since Sunday night.

Speaking of Sunday night (and the gay mafia might kill me for this) - I am glad Crash won Best Picture. Crash affected me so much more than Brokeback did last year. Brokeback was and is a wonderful story and I am glad that it is part of out cinematic history, but the dialogue that Crash started (Well, it started and rapidly died) was more important to me than 2 cowboys cheating on their wives. I know a lot of the gay bloggers have said that Jack and Ennis are Gay Gay Gay and there is nothing anyone can say to change that. I don't see it the same way. I don't think a gay man can participate in a heterosexual relationship and maintain a fair level of satisfaction. As much as I would love Jake and Heath to be gay, I think the characters they played were simple men that cared deeply for each other and had no other way to express they feelings for each other. (Admittedly, Jake's character was more involved than Heath's.) I have read the story and was deeply affected by it...While watching the movie, though, I was emotion-less until the very end...'the shirt scene'. Crash affected me and illicited emotions from me at least 4 times while watching it...and I left the theater wanting to talk about it. (All we said about Brokeback was "sure was longer than I thought it would be.")

There is another Music of the Moment. I did make it out of the house to buy a cd today. Because I couldn't find the one I originally wanted, you get to listen to Panic! @ The Disco - I Write Sins not Tragedies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this was a belated posting, and as I'm somewhere not anywhere near to the most recent posts...

I watched the movie Crash after the buzz was apparently already over, long after it was a mild din, and sadly no more mention of it, save for a former movie to which such and such actor or actress belonged...

I am not quite certain a which point you were moved, or what emotional content was stirred, but mine ranged from outrage, profound sadness, fear, and strangely intermittent hope... What bothered me most, is that the theme that played out was so visceral, but the message seemed to be not so much, confrontational toward the material described and or displayed in its raw and unapologetic nature, but an ambiguous under-current, that seems to be more telling of that which creates the sense of shock, and awe in an audience that has been previously desensitized to the Film's portrayal of what is a not-so-dead topic, of pervasive hate, prejudice, and bigotry still very much alive, well and thriving despite plenty of suffering, and justification to the contrary.

There is in-effect, life as we believe it to be, and life as we feel it to be, when those two don't easily mesh, or mirror each other in any meaningful or tangible way, that can be shared with others who are A-Okay with business as usual, such raw and edgy portrayals of reality are apparently necessary to wake up those who believe otherwise, and empower those who are already not fooled, to see that hope, begins in not some nameless and spectral too distant future, or amorphous next great Rallying point, it begins with us, each of us.

Sincerely: Bobby...

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home