White DE version 2

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Am I The Only One That Didn't See _____?

It's becoming more and more clear to me that, while growing up, I missed a LOT of 'classic' movies. It's not really a mystery...I know why I didn't see them. You see, here's the thing. There was a period of time...say from 6-11...that there were only 2 movies I watched. The NeverEnding Story and The Goonies. These were my hopes and dreams...I WAS Sebastian...I WAS Atreyu...I WAS Mikey. Every weekend, my stepbrother and stepsister would visit my sister and me...and EVERY weekend we had to stop at VideoLand (turned VideoUpdate turned MovieGallery) to rent Goonies and The NeverEnding Story. Oh, and we didn't own a VCR, so we would rent one of those, too. Colt brand VCR...in a suitcase-like container designed to --I don't know why it was in a container like that.

Anyway, we would always rent those 2 movies, much to our parents chagrin...it wasn't until later that we got a second television, so they would have to sit through them, too...or find something else do to. Sure, sometimes we would throw in a good PG-13 (alright...R) horror flick just to keep up on what Freddie or Jason were up to these days. Our parents were never much on enforcing arbitrary movie ratings. If we wanted to see it, we could...we regulated ourselves pretty well. If something was too scary or too sexy, we had the sense to fast forward through it. We didn't want to see sex anyway...we just wanted to wits scared out of us before bed, lol.

During this time, though...a LOT of movies came out that, it seems, everyone saw. I can't think of a better example than the Star Wars Trilogy...(would that be a sexilogy now?) I didn't see a Star Wars movie until I was 19 years old. It was Episode One (Four) and I saw it as part of a compromise. Half of my friends wanted to see SW:EI and the other half (including me) wanted to see some other movie. No doubt my movie included cheerleaders, high school cliches, and the big party on Friday. The compromise was that we would see them back to back. I was a good sport...it was fair. People literally thought I was lying when I told them that I had not seen a Star Wars movie. I saw it...I gave it a chance...I HATED it. I do not like SciFi movies or books. I just don't get it.

It comes up a lot, though, that people mention a movie and I will be the only one in the room that hasn't seen it. It's hard to catch up, though. How do you catch up on a whole lifetime of movies? I, especially, have a hard time because I have a hard time watching a movie by myself. I get completely ADD and can't sit through a movie alone. So that means I have to find someone else that wants to see that same movie...that they probably already saw 10-15-20 years ago.

Another one: The Boondock Saints. This movie is 6 years old and I never even heard of it until last summer. Now, all the sudden, EVERYONE (literally everyone) I know is talking about this movie. No one has it...but they've all seen it. I like to think of myself as someone who is on top of pop culture...trends, movies, music and such. How did I miss this?

In the past few years I have seen a lot of those 'classic' movies...I dated someone whose pastime was buying/renting/watching movies...dozens a month. And then Ami and I lived together. Wow...we watched some movies. When we first started hanging out as friends we would go out to bars, namely Chumley's, 4 or 5 nights a week. After we moved into our apartment together, we realized that we could have the same (more) fun staying at home and making our own drinks. Saving $30 a night was a plus...and we actually got to talk to each other, lol. We started renting movies, too. A LOT OF MOVIES. Our average night started to entail me getting home from work, showering and getting jammied up, breaking open a liter or 2 of vodka and a couple movies.

I do now have a list of my fav movies that I think EVERYONE should check out:
  • I (Heart) Huckabees
  • Down With Love
  • Memento
  • Identity
  • Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind (sort of a series)
  • Garden State
  • Chicago
  • Napoleon Dynamite
  • Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Those are the ones that a lot of people have seen. The ones I really like, though, are the ones that I find on the shelf at the video store with only one copy. These are the gems that people rarely discover.
  • Girls Will be Girls
  • CAMP
  • Die, Mommie, Die
  • Elephant
  • Everyone
I don't even know what this post is supposed to be about anymore. What I do know is that it is 93 degrees, 80% humidity, with a heat index of 113...I think the heat is getting to my brain. OK, I am inside and it's a comfortable 72.

One more thing...He has officially moved. The one person I think I have actually loved in my life is officially out of it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pimpin' said...

CAMP rocks. Everyone should own a copy. All those kids can really sing too, except the hot lead guy.

I dragged a group of 8 or so friends to see it in the theaters when it was finally released. I'm not sure they all liked it as much as I do.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home