White DE version 2

Friday, February 10, 2006

"The Olympic Spirit is neither the property of one race nor of one age." Pierre de Coubertin

As I watch the first moments of NBC's coverage of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies I am stricken again and again - nearly constantly - with goosebumps.

It's not the stories of athletic prowess...not the uplifting life stories of the competitors...not even the beauty of the Italian landscape.

These great games remind me, most of all, how small the world is. And how we are reminded far too infrequently about our human sameness.

In Torino, for the next 17 days, the best from across the globe will come together to compete against - and celebrate with - each other. If only the rest of us could do the same.

*****UPDATE - We all know that music is the universal language, but who knew the common theme is early 80's video music? Seriously, what was up with the Parade of Nations?

1 Comments:

Blogger J said...

I *loved* the opening montage with narration by Andre Braugher. It gave me chills. I agree with you...I am not even a sports fan...but the Olympics seem like the last great international forum for the world to work/play together.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home