White DE version 2

Monday, July 25, 2005

Cut The Shit

Regardless the dangers of just becoming a link lizard rather than posting anything I, myself, write...You must click over to Cut The Shit and read what he says about Queer as Folk this year. If you haven't seen the show, stop reading right now to go rent the DVD's and spend your evenings this week catching up. It doesn't matter whether you are gay or straight...it's a human drama. It's a drama about the love of families, the love of friends, and the love of each other. And it's about hate...fighting hate.

I haven't yet seen the most recent episode that aired on Sunday night...but just reading Joe's synopsis brought goosebumps to my arms and tears to my eyes. I will miss this show when it ends in just a few weeks. It has encompassed my entire life as a gay man...beginning its run just as I came out of the closet and through the next 5 years. It has taught me a lot and I hope, someday, we can have another show that can affect so many people like I know QAF has.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt S. said...

The last two weeks on QAF have been amazing this is the saddest yet best story line they have ever had besisdes maybe when Justin was bashed in season 1. I am sad that the show has to go away, I feel like it is really starting to get to its prime. The next two weeks look like they will be pretty dramatic as well.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Jake McCafferty said...

Along the lines of what Matt said, last week's episode is what I consider to be the second-best QAF ever. And I've seen every one. (Video on Demand is great for those of us who have to travel a lot.)

I still consider the best to be the Justin bashing episode. Why? Not necessarily because Justin is a sympathetic character. But when he was bashed, Brian was there, picked up the bat, had the opportunity to cave the basher's skull in -- and didn't.

Sure, the show is sensational and highlights casual sex and drug use. But, hey, IT'S A TV SHOW.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

I have a special place in my hear to for QAF. I was outted to my parents in January of 2002 by my X-wife. I had watched the entire first season of a video a friend had recorded over a 2 day period. For the first time in my life I really felt like I was OK. WHen my parents came to me to ask if it was true, I boldly said, yes, I am gay. It is NOT going to change. And thus started my road to freedom. Had I not seen the show I don't know if I would have had the courage to come out. I feel a blog post in the making.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Hey Matt!

Thanks for the link in your post. Is it wrong that it made my day??
:)
What you wrote about the show is better than what I wrote. You are exactly right in that the show isn't a gay drama...it's a human drama. And it's so right on and beautifully done. I agree with you whole heartedly in that I will devastated when the show ends. I wish we were friends in real life cuz then we could watch the finale together and cry ourselves to sleep. :-D

The show debuted right after I came out of the closet too. I've also been taught a great deal from each episode and I'm disappointed that I won't be able to continue to grow and learn from it in the future.

Doesn't it feel so good to know that we are a united gay community through something as simple as a TV show? Absolutely amazing.

And Jake...the Justin bashing episode was brilliant as well. So timely and right on.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home