White DE version 2

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Religion, Again...but for the last time

As I was perusing the blogs that I visit (almost) daily -- see left -- I came across an interesting post from Tony about religion. I have attended church services exactly twice in my life. The first time I was 6 and my sister and I were baptized in the Methodist church of my paternal grandparents. The second time was with a girlfriend when I was 19. (yes, I dated girls) She had attended Catholic school for almost all of her life: Elementary, Middle, High, undergrad at a predominantly Catholic, but still public, university, and was attending St Thomas Aquinas in St Louis for her Masters in Theology. She was visiting me here in Indiana and wanted to go to a service while she was here. So, I called my friends Mark and Mike and we made our way to St Thomas Aquinas near Purdue University for a morning of beratement and basic guilting. Besides the fact that I couldn't figure out when to sit/stand/kneel, I came away realizing that Catholicism was not for me. There's not much about me that they would like. So, over the years I have become fairly accustomed to identifying as Agnostic. In some Eastern religions they have a principle known as Om. Basically is comes down to believing that there is a power higher than that of your own. And that makes sense to me. I believe that there is something out there (call it god, nature, society) that has a little more control over us as a whole than we do. I have tried, in the past, to better identify with a religion, but I can't seem to find one siutable. I was raised to make up my own mind and think independantly. I never understood how people could go to church every Sunday and be preached to about what to believe without a 'why'. Most of the why's I have heard come directly from the bible. To me, the bible is this: a very good selling, much understood, and often misquoted collection of parables--stories that give guidelines about how to live peacefully with the people that share our planet. The problem comes in when people twist the bible and use only portions of it to make their case (usually for hatred or discrimination). Now, I am not going to get into all of the contradictions that are presented.

I took the same quiz he did and came up with Unitarian Universalism. While that is quite a mouthful to say, it certainly sounds inclusive enough lol. (by the way, my second result was Liberal Quaker...that makes me laugh)

1 Comments:

Blogger flannel04 said...

Oh my gosh, I am an Orthodox Quaker. I didn't realize I was such a hippy. My actual religion came up 92% though, so I guess I'm ok.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home