White DE version 2

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Welcome to Spring! (P.S. It's Snowing)

So, yesterday was the first day of spring. It hardly seems like it here in Indiana. We had a couple nice weeks from February into March. It was up in the 60's...sunny and breezy. No more of that. The flowers have been pushing up from the ground - the promise of a better season to come. Today, however, we are under a Winter Weather Warning. (Maybe it should be called a Winter Weather in Spring Warning.) Now, we aren't expecting anything like what has hit the Plains in the past week, but I am still not happy with snow in March.

We've only had one real snow this year and that was back in December. We got 6-8 inches before Christmas. Since then, though, we haven't had anything that has stuck around for more than a few hours - a day at the most. It's years like this that make me worry.

My birthday is in the beginning of April. Every time we have a 'mild' winter it snows on my birthday. I don't (at this point) have big plans for my birthday...BUT, I do not want snow.

This morning I had to run out to the mall for something. The whole trip there and back is only about 7 miles. When I left my house there was maybe a 1/4 inch of snow on the ground...no biggie. Well, that's what I thought. By the time I got on Sagamore Parkway I realized that this was no regular snow. No - this was the most evil, slippery, wet, you-can't-stop-if-you-try kind of snow. In the few miles there and back I saw !16! slide-offs and 4 fender-benders.

I was doing pretty well until I was back within a mile or so of my house when a semi realized he was in the left turn lane and needed to turn right. Well, there was almost no traffic, so he tried to turn across all the lanes of traffic and get into the right lane. I was being a good boy - going about 30 mph (and had the car dropped down into 3rd) and was prepared to stop. Everything was hunky-dory until the momentum of his trailer overcame the movement of the cab of his truck. Somehow, during his merge, he started sliding and ended up sideways - across all 4 lanes of traffic. I had plenty of time to stop, but the SUV a few yards behind me didn't. I think he just wasn't paying attention - I mean, it's not like any of this was happening quickly, lol. He tried to make it around the back end of the semi, but didn't quite make it. He barely hit the trailer, but it did a fair bit of damage to his passenger side. (I drew this pretty picture to show you all.) Well, this brought everything to a stand-still for a few minutes. The semi finally got moved out of the way and the SUV guy got off the road. I debated about whether I should wait for the police since I had seen everything, but I couldn't really tell them anything that they weren't already going to know. (Plus, I was wearing sandals...I wasn't going to wait around in the snow.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home